- A (package) index is a repository for release metadata and release files.
devpi-server allows the creation of multiple independent indices per user.
- non volatile index
- An index which can not be deleted or modified in a destructive manner.
Typically, non volatile indexes are indexes shared amongts users
part of a project or an organization. For more details see
Non Volatile Indexes.
- volatile index
- A index that can be modified and deleted at will be its owner.
On upload, release files will overwrite existing release files.
A Development index is an example of volatile indexes. A volatile
index normally pertains to a single user.
- Access Control List
- Action consisting of loading one or more release files from a file
system to an index.
- Action of transfering a package from one index to another.
- Action of deleting a project or a specific release from an index.
- release file
- A release file contains a project’s artifact (.py files, etc) required
for the installation. A release file is versioned. The term package
is often use as well, but might be confused with a python package.
- Indices have a boolean “volatile” property. If true, release files can
be deleted or replaced. If False, attempts at modifications will
cause an Error.